Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Some more thoughts

I never seem to need a reason to watch a movie, but the other day, it was a chilly sunday early evening actually, KD and I had decided (upon my insistence and his kindness) to watch a documentary on Rumi (Abby I know you would appreciate this)

Unfortunately, I was severely disappointed, the documentary taught me nothing more than there was a bunch of people really in awe of him.

But none of them really knew why they were so fascinated with this dervish.

I think my fascination with dervishes and sufis is simply that they so go against the conventional way Islam is practiced.
Oh dear dare I approach the religion factor to my blog? This is treacherous and dangerous lands I dare trespass.

Society, culture and religion are so closely integrated its nearly impossible to really differentiate between them. I mean we are born Muslims, we were not given the choice to practice, it was enforced on us. Yet we do have the choice of free will, and for some people a muslim who decides to not practiced needs to be shunned. Surely then that persn is not being granted the choice of free will, free will which is a right to all individuals.

Now before everyone jumps on your back for saying, a Non Muslim and a half Muslim and all the other things that will oh yes will be stressed and pointed out, God created Adam, and Adam was not a Muslim, well because religion was not really created then so to speak.

Surely we are allowed to wonder of those things, like where we all come from, and did all of come from Adam and Eve, and where exactly heaven is, and whether there is a shortcut to heaven or not (wishful thinking)

Although Moslem school did teach me much I get irritated that the standard of teachers is so limited. I once asked a Moslem school teacher why there were no female prophets and the answer I got was “I will pretend I did not here that”

I am in that wondering and pondering stage in my life.

There are so many actors out there, people pretend every single day and its so scary. Its nearly terrifying.

No comments: