Sunday, February 17, 2013

Chicken/prawn chaat

So lots of friends have been asking me for my chicken chaat recipe. You can make this with prawns if you so wish. Instead of mustard seeds, use methi seeds with the prawn.

And I'm terrible at remembering to do so. On my blog seems to be a more permanent and easier way of actually keeping my promise.

I've replaced my butter chicken with chicken chaat, mostly because its so much easier and takes up a lot less time and less pots and cleaning required. It's just as good if not better.

You need

1kg prawns/chicken
1lemons worth of juice
2tspns garlic

Marinate this for a few hours, the longer the better, I even do it overnight. But you can also do it immediately too.

Quick stir fry the chicken/prawn in some olive oil. Its a not deep fried, you basically coat the pan with a bit of oil. so its like 2 tablespoons of oil. Do it in batches. you don't want to overcrowd the pan. The prawns go pink within minutes. If you doing chicken, I suggest getting the chicken browned a bit, not burned though.

Now for the sauce
1/2 tsp methi (fenureek) seeds ( for prawn) and mustard seeds for chicken
3/4 tspn Koljana
3/4 tspn jeera
1 and a 1/2 tspn chilli powder
1tspn paprika
About 1/2 tsp salt ( depend on you and how much salt you want to use)
1cup double cream Greek youghurt
Small tin tomatoe paste
2tablespoons sugar, but add more or less as per your preference
Dhansay chopped
Curry leaves
Whole chillie
70 ml cream

Once the chicken/ prawn has been fried, take it out of the pan, and keep it in a bowl. The chicken as is, is quite yummy.

Same pot, no need to wash it add your dry spices. It will sizzle, but we are making a vagaries, ie dry spices cooked. This releases the flavors. Takes about a minute. Then add the yougurt, and the tomato paste. It will turn a beautiful orange color. Add your chicken/prawn mixture.

Then add your sugar, curry leaves, and sugar. Let it heat up and bubble a bit. Lastly add the dhanya and then the cream.

You can make this the night before and it tastes better the next day as most curries do. I've also kept this in the fridge for at least 3 to 4 days.

Serve with basmati rice, naan or rotisserie (which I suggest you buy, why make life difficult?)



Tips

Fenugreek seeds have a mustard color, I've attached a picture.

Mustard seeds are little tiny black seeds, I use the black one. Pics attached

I get my spices from Fargos in Salt River but any spice shop will do.



Enjoy!








No comments: