Sunday, October 22, 2006

Movie Review DON


Sharukh khan seriously has a face for every occasion, and with mere changes of expressions can transform from being a dilly-silly village boy to DON, a mafia type guy who will even get Mr Bond in a Tizz!

Not that I would have voluntarily have gone to watch the movie especially at its location, Canal Walk the craziest place to be the weekend before Eid.

So under duress I am dragged there. The cinema seating is nice and spacious and the cinema bigger than usual.

The opening scene I cannot even remember but I am betting it was with Sharukh doing something that yet again my good friend Bond would have done.

Anyhow I remember when Kareeena makes her brief appearance, dancing provocatively in a club. Now what Indian movies short fall on is realistic story lines, but that is easily compensated by the glitz and glamour.

So Mizz Kapoor is literally throwing herself at Don (Sharukh) when she has to make a phone call to her aunty who she lives with who is worried of her?? I mean how stupid that is, anyhow she really is calling a police man who would like to catch Don. You see Don killed Kareena’s fiancé so she is acting in revenge, for her poor lover.

Rest assured Don beheads her in a rather clever move, making the incompetent police yet again look like idiots. Why don’t they get secret agents like Bond I keep asking myself?

Enter Priyanka Chopra doing a bit of Kung Fu in some kind of gym room showing off a very toned and worked out body with her hair like she walked out of a salon and make up as if she was going to be a clown for my six year old cousins birthday party.

As can be predicted, Chopra is Kareena’s fiancés sister and she seeks revenge on Don for her brother and his fiancés death.

Eventually Donn screws up in a race and the police officer mentioned gets hold of him. He decides to get another guy who looks exactly like Donn to replace the real Donn and that is where the movie gets funnier and interesting.

The first half is boring, over the top and on more than one occasion I closed my eyes (sleep deprivation creeps in however)

The second half gets you guessing and I sat upright and never closed my eyes once, well to blink of course!

The end, is different and unexpected.

Of course there are super phony lines especially at the end when the girl confesses to Don on his almost deathbed the, “I love you” line. .

But nearly four hours after walking into the cinema, I leave, Canal walk busier than ever , get home at past five and count the minutes till bhuka timeJ

6/10 and that is me being kind

2 comments:

*cosmic freak* said...

you watch hindi film??? weird ... but cool la ... is it a big hit there? at cape town???

hurm ... btw, I hope you don't mind me linking you at my blog ... easier to get updates through the links *wink wink*

The Pink Mermaid said...

Hiyya Abby

YES i watch hindi films, and YES its massive here in CT. I am Indian btw, my father and grandparents migrated from India to CT hence Its big here. Sharukh is like HUGE, Gigantic, humungous, and in KL?

Sure thing bout the blog, ow was Eid?